Even the basement does not escape the concept of a sustainable house. If you are planning to remodel the lower floor and are concerned about the future of the planet, here are a few guidelines you should follow, according to Écohabitation experts.
This would be the perfect time to check for radon. We have been hearing more and more about this carcinogenic gas. You can find the detection device in a large shopping centre or a hardware store. If the level is high, Écohabitiion recommends a system designed to evacuate the gas.
Insulating the water heater and plumbing pipes will considerably reduce your energy bills.
[caption id="attachment_15463" align="aligncenter" width="580"]
Opt for synthetic (recycled) gypsum for the walls and ceilings instead of the natural one. It is more ecological.[……]
One of your windows is in poor condition. For whatever reason, you couldn’t replace it before the winter season’s arrival. Here are a few guidelines to help you prevent damage or a hike in heating costs.
- Weatherstripping is the key element in heat loss prevention. Make sure it is in mint condition.
- Clean every part of the window with a brush or a vacuum cleaner. It can actually make a small difference.
- If the caulk breaks when touched with a screwdriver or any other tool for that matter, it needs to be replaced.
- Window films can reduce heat loss up to 50%. It is applied to the inside of the window on the surface of the glass and can be installed by anyone.
- Adhesive foam tape isn’t the most durable, but it will last through a winter season.
- You can buy draft stoppers that attach to the outside of the window on milder days.